George Bush Plant Swap - Update

From: "GMBAC Plant Swap" <donnakinerd@PROTECTED>
Date: October 7th 2016

Plant Information Sheet

The Greater Mission Bend Area Council is giving all registered Swappers a Plumeria or Desert Rose (Adenium) plant to thank you for attending our Plant Swap.  GMBAC is a Voice for the 65,000 residents of Greater Mission Bend. Please visit www.gmbac.com to learn more.

Both are flowering plants.  The Desert Roses will probably bloom next spring.  The Plumeria will probably not bloom for about 3 years.  Since they are both seedlings the color is unknown.  Both do well in full sun during the warm months and go dormant in the winter months.

In the last week the plants have been treated with Neem Oil, a non-toxic pesticide, with the intent to eliminate any unwanted pests.

I recommend keeping all new plants separate from your other plants for a few days until you determine they are free of any unwanted pests.

My experience is that most pests will not kill a plant and sometimes are taken care of by nature, but cause yellowing of leaves, etc.  But, I always try to take steps to eliminate the problem as soon as possible.  Suggestions can be found on line for using non-toxic methods.

Recommendations:

  • Transfer the Desert Rose plants to a larger pot immediately.  The pot should be about 3 or 4 times the size of the current pot.  Clay pots work well.  The Plumeria will need to be transferred to large pots next spring.
  • Both Plumeria and Desert Rose plants go dormant in the winter.  When the temperature drops to about 55 degrees, I put them in a protected area and stop watering them.  I give small plants a little water about once a month during the winter.  The leaves will die and fall off.  In the spring, put them in full sun and start watering them and they will come to life!

Visit  http://plantswap.gmbac.com/ and click on First 50 Registered Traders Received a Free Gift for links to web-sites with complete growing instructions for both the Plumeria and Desert Rose plants.

I hope these plants bring you as much joy as they do me!

I look forward to see everyone in the morning.

Donna Kinerd – GMBAC Member - DonnaKinerd@PROTECTED

  • This mailing list is announce-only.

Barter don't Buy! - No money changes hands, just plants and plant related items.

Privacy Policy:

Your email address will never be sold.